View Single Post
      04-24-2014, 11:20 AM   #161
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
As much as I wish for that, I don't know that we'll continue to see N/A engines, even in hybrid situations. The hybrid drive train makes it very easy to compensate for the shortcomings of a heavily boosted ICE (internal combustion engine). McLaren's P1 is overshadowing the 918, despite the achievement that the 918 is, and a lot of that has to do with it's incredibly powerful drivetrain, which delivers over 190 HP/L, before you factor in the power from the electrical drivetrain components. No one I've read has said a word about any lag or lack of response from the P1.

Sports car manufacturing has a tendency to adopt a me-too approach to product development. Everyone wants to scavenge the success of the leader, and the P1 is just too far out front right now. I'd expect a lot of copying of their formula, and that means hybrid power trains with extremely high specific-output, forced-induction engines.
I agree, especially since it's not only the P1, it's the entire Formula 1 circus which includes companies as Benz, Ferrari and Renault. All working with building the ultimate electric + FI engines. I will always prefer a NA high-end engine over an FI engine but the future look very sad for the NA engine and these hybrids seems very cool where the electric engines instant response can cover for many FI shortcomings. Sound is unfortunately not one of them.

However as long as the GT3 remains arguably the most coveted,praised and somewhat attainable sports car in the world I can't see Porsche doing away with it's core asset, the NA engine.

Last edited by solstice; 04-24-2014 at 11:31 AM..
Appreciate 0