View Single Post
      04-24-2015, 07:15 PM   #1
mshab356
Go ///M or go home
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 6MT

Pros and Cons of Flex/No Flex section on Downpipes

Ok, I have heard a lot of mixed things about DPs without the flex section. I've heard that you don't need them and people have had no issues with DPs without that flex section because they don't produce as much heat as catted DPs so they don't contract/expand as much (among other reasons); then again I don't know how long these people have had their DPs installed for. I've also heard that they are needed due to that heat issue and/or rattling (if it doesn't have flex then the heat expansion/contraction and/or rattling can potentially cause problems down the road). I don't know what to believe.

Can someone who is experienced in this stuff, preferably an engineer or tech, let me know whether the flex section is TRULY needed or not? Would be nice to have a solid answer, as I know tons of people ask this question quite often. Thanks.

GONE 2011 SG/Blk E92 M3 CS 6MT
Appreciate 1