09-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #144
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
meh don't believe the hype. the ZF tiptronic/steptronic is a good gearbox....but it's nowhere near the level of performance as a proper dual clutch automatic gearbox. It's still clunky and non-satisfying to use. I have driven several cars equipped with the ZF and was bored with all of them. The dual clutch actually FEELS like there are two clutches working in symphony between them....actively seeking gears. The ZF just feels like a really good automatic.

i'd personally never buy a ZF slushbox....but would DEFINITELY buy a car with a dual clutch.

as for the rest of others' opinions about HP---judging a car by HP is like judging a woman by the cup size on her bra and NOTHING else-----it tells an important, but out-of-context summary of the subject in question. Just tuning a 435i does NOT make it an M3. The M3 is more than just technical stats; it is a composite of a factory built performance package engineered as such from the beginning. I get tired of people comparing 'tuned' cars to out-of-the-box packages. I *LOVE* my brand new 135is, but i'm not going to pretend that tuning it and adding a bunch of parts is going to make it a 1M; it will NOT (although this is a poor example....as BMW engineers DID just tune it and add a bunch of parts to make the 1M...LOL).
You do know that the 4 series price lists in Europe show DCT options an ALL engines now, even 2 litre Diesels? About a $400 option over ZF8HP.
Appreciate 0