01-18-2019, 12:43 PM   #101
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
A lot of misinformation in this post.

Clunking is normal with track pads as they are designed to fit loosely inside the caliper when cold to ensure they remain free to move in extreme hot operating conditions. There's nothing that needs to be "pried off".

of RS-29 in front with RSL-1 in the rear which improves stability under braking with slightly more rear bias. The RSL-1 will offer better initial bite at the expense of faster wear with the PF08 fitting somewhere in between. The RS-29 offer sufficient hot friction to maximize braking with street and r-compound tires. They however might not with race slicks.
I base my comments on actual braking coefficient numbers published for both pads. You're basing your comments off pure personal experience and conjecture.

You just said it yourself. RS-29 are basically M performance pads which come stock on some cars. There is nothing special about them. That was my point. You just said yourself they pair well to street tires too.

PFC-08 are on another level from RS-29. PFC-08/PFC-01 are used on cars competing in PWC with slicks. They are an endurance pad though and the actual brake torque they generate isn't much higher than a stock pad. Big difference between them is effective operating range. If you need more aggressive pads than a full blown race cars use to do some HPDE then you're doing it wrong. Stock pads with brake ducts to keep them cool will net you the same performance as aggressive track pads that usually run too cold at HPDE and eat rotors (all teat screeching you hear). That's just my 2c.

And yes, 100%, clunking usually comes from not carrying the backing plate over from the stock pads. Go check for yourself... aftermarket "race" pads almost always having an asterisk next to them to that they do not include backing plates:

See the silver plate that comes with the back of these OE replacement pads? That's a backing plate that RS-29 pads do not come with:

I only said "pry" because the stock backing plates are usually glued to the pad or even seized from rust/heat. Takes a bit of work to remove them from the stock pads. Which is why people usually fail to transfer them to their new pads...

Last edited by bbnks2; 01-18-2019 at 01:45 PM..
Appreciate 0