Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Name:  SIGNS     autobahn-end-of-restrictions-sign.jpg
Views: 2722
Size:  46.0 KB

End of Speed limits(and or Restrictions)although a speed limit of 130 is recommended.

You can also see this sign on a Bundesstrasse when there was a previous speed limit, no passing or some other "restriction". So this sign doesn't only mean to FLOOR IT, when you see it somewhere else other than on a Autobahn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingikra View Post
Thanks. As usual, very informative.
I have problems with these local food restaurants that are not in the big cities. There's a possibility that they won't know English and last time, in sankt goarshausen, I had a very bad experience with eating in such restaurant.
What about Nuremberg? I'm sure there are good places to eat there. What about traffic and parking spaces? Do you think I can manage or will it be hard to maneuver and hard to find parking spot?
If there's nothing special, I'll find something back in Munich.

Thanks!

Sure, I can recommend a few place to eat in Nuremberg. What day of the week will you travel to Nuremberg ? And what time of day, do you think?

What kind of food did you want to eat ? I'm guessing German food, right?

You can find decent parking in a parkhaus(public garage). I have a few places in mind... but I would like some more input from you as to what kind of dinner experience you are after?

Under the Kaiserburg in Nurnberg is a nice cosy place. There are also a few cool places with some history to them as well.

Easter or Ostern(as the Germans call it) is on Sunday, April 1st this year.

All of the Bavarian schools are out(closed) from March 26th until April 7th. So there will be a lot of traffic(on the Autobahns and at the Airports) on the start and ending days of Easter vacation.

The good news is from Saturday March 31st until 10pm on Easter Monday April 2nd - no trucks will be allowed to drive on the Bavarian Autobahn! So the roads will be free from major traffic. But the Autobahn rest stops will probably be full of semi's trucks(called LKW's over here).

Btw... some German sign abbreviations...

LKW = tractor trailer truck
PKW = cars

Truck Exit - Keep free! (NO parking allowed - implied)
Name:  SIGNS    s-l300.jpg
Views: 1142
Size:  61.9 KB

NO truck parking allowed!
Name:  SIGNS  proverdi-parkverbotsschild-aus-aluminium-parkverbot-fuer-lkw-s-3725_29454.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  72.9 KB

IF those signs said PKW... then it would be meant for cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingikra View Post
Thanks a lot for the warning although I usually drive slower in the unlimited parts (because it is sometimes hard for me to understand from the signs where it is allowed) but never go above the speed limit when it is mentioned clearly and when all other drivers slows down to that speed.
Anyhow it is always good to know in advanced

Here is how the Polizei pull cars over... they do it by passing you first, then you see the BITTE FOLGEN (Please Follow) sign. Often times you might exit the autobahn into a safe place for the Polizei to talk to you. They can search your car and luggage or person... and they don't need any probable cause either to stop you in the first place. You might also be asked to produce the car's first aid kit, warning triangle and warning vest(for each person in the car). In the winter months(October thru April) you are also required to have a snow/ice scraper, winter windshield washer fluid and windshield wipers that are in good order(not worn out).

This is how the Autobahn Polizei pull you over... see 01:03

You hardly ever will see a marked police car on the Autobahn. Most of the time they use unmarked cars. The cars have multiple video cameras and the only clue that they are cops is a slightly longer radio antenna. And at Warp speeds you can't see that.

Basic rule of driving fast over here... Don't speed in construction zones(Bau-stelle)... the speed limit in construction zones is always 80 kph(and they will be posted) and this is always where the Polizei "look" for speeders. Often times they use a camera to take video or stills photos via photo radar... THEN IF they have a BIG FISH(+30 kph) they will pull you over down the highway - where it is safer to do so.

Also when the Autobahn intersects with another Autobahn... there often will be a speed limit, then it will go away after the crossing(interchange).

When it is raining... some sections of the Autobahn will have signs saying: "Bei Nasse 80 kph"... that means when raining... a 80 kph speed limit exits. You see these signs in areas where hydroplaning happens. You will also see a "End of 80 kph"... a faded 80 kph sign with the three diagonal stripes indicating the END of that speed limit.

Just a few signs to brush up...

Signs...

Autobahn
Name:  SIGNS     images.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  40.9 KB

80 kph when wet. What is WET ? When you can see the tracks/tire marks on the wet road surface.
Name:  SIGNS    99654337.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  69.6 KB

Same sign... just the electronic version. 80 kph(now, bc someone turned on this electronic autobahn sign).
Name:  SIGNS bild374492_v-variantBig16x9_w-576_zc-915c23fa.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  49.8 KB

80 kph...
Name:  SIGNS     80-kmh-rot.jpg
Views: 902
Size:  36.6 KB

end of 80 kph...
Name:  SIGNS     hoechstgeschwindigkeit-80-kmh-4107.png
Views: 2739
Size:  161.2 KB

End of Speed Limits(when see on a Autobahn).
Name:  SIGNS     keine-geschwindigkeitsbegrenzung.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  64.4 KB

This sign means the speed limit is AT LEAST 130 kph in this lane. Normally you will see two or three of these signs - depending on how many lanes that Autobahn has... it is telling you you need to drive at least this speed in that lane. ie: 130, 130, 80... which would mean, three lane autobahn with a minimum speed limit posted.
Name:  SIGNS     schild-richtgeschwindigkeit.png
Views: 670
Size:  5.1 KB

unmarked polizei Mini...
Name:  signs     maxresdefault.jpg
Views: 944
Size:  67.7 KB

Name:  SIGNS     PC170042 (Large).jpg
Views: 854
Size:  78.9 KB

Sometimes the Polizei will only have a blue strobe light and one of these STOP sticks with the red light in the center....
Name:  polizei.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  102.0 KB

100 kph when wet/raining...
Name:  19  xxxxx   mage_69ff75c0dde9137c.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  33.1 KB

electronic Autobahn sign... normally blank(unlight) but this one is saying... 120 kph AND No truck passing. The little green arrow means the should can be also used as a driving lane(as in peak rush hour times) with a speed limit of 120 kph.
Name:  37  xxxxx   autobahn.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  156.3 KB

End of 110 kph.... new speed limit is 120 kph
Name:  4  xxxxx   4e0b3b8d2f06c.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  33.8 KB

These yellow signs mean you are entering this city/town(Munich in this case)... BUT it also means the speed limit is now 50 kph, unless otherwise posted.
Name:  34  xxxxx   City Schild Munchen.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  90.8 KB

End of Detour. Sometimes you will see these orange arrows on the Autobahn to show you another way around - in a traffic jam(Stau).
Name:  33  xxxxx   03.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  22.0 KB

Caution - damage road.
Name:  15  xxxxx   65675859898_1759014169_n.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  67.9 KB

Hydroplaning when wet!
Name:  46 xxxxx   weiss_rechteck-Zusatzzeichen_bei Naesse.png
Views: 757
Size:  10.4 KB

What to do when there is an Emergency on the Autobahn...

three lanes left side - two lanes right pic.
Left lane traffic allways moves to the LEFT. Right side lanes always MOVE to the RIGHT side of the road. The fines are now 200 euros for impeding an fire/ambulance or polizei in a traffic jam(Stau).

Name:  51  xxxxx    rettungsgasse-richtig-bilden.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  67.0 KB

Name:  52  xxxxx     Bures_plant_Video  Ueberwachung_der_Rettungsgasse-Kampf_gegen_Suender-Story-357023.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  132.1 KB

ALL Directions... you see this sign in major cities like Munich to show you the fastest way out. Sometimes you will see a sign saying: Fernverkehr - main traffic direction. Always the fastest way out of town.
Name:  54  xxxxx    alle richtung 1_orig.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  37.2 KB

Construction Area
Name:  18  xxxxx   _baustellenkennzeichnung_vorsicht_baustelle_8738.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  32.9 KB

End of Speed controls(limits)
Name:  36  xxxxx   autobahn-end-of-restrictions-sign.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  83.5 KB

The Autobahn and the Alps!
Name:  50  xxxxx    Autobahn   10407880_722650564444741_8820604463580413221_n.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  53.0 KB
Appreciate 0