swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumac View Post
PPS. Fuck CAFE right in the ear
It absolutely is not the Government(s) that are causing BMW to majorly change engine platforms in M cars. It is higher profit through much higher part commonality. Another poster here made that point and I have argued it extensively in other posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli_HH View Post
The main reason because the decision was made for this engine are to get more (as much as possible!) profit out of every sold M3/M4. This firstly ruled out the great and unique but expensive to produce S65 ... not its low mpg rates. Thats the real truth !!! The rest is great BMW marketing !

And also according to all infos from inside the M-GmbH the N55 derivate engine was only chosen because off cost reasons and also its an fact that there exists also an better (turbo)alternative - prefered from most M-GmbH members and technicans ... an V6 BiTurbo derivate from the S63Tü - but the BMW AG ordered the M-GmbH to go with the cheaper and not with the better engine to increase the cars profitability further. Its quoted that the real difference between both turbo engines was below 1.000 Euro per unit. But BMW (the AG) decided that its better to increase the debit over this Euros and the cheaper but (slightly?) inferior engine is enough to make the new F8x better than its predecessors. But in my opinion this is the wrong decision because the M-Spirt is worth more than € 1.000 per car ... just for the future of the brand.

Its hard to know that the M3/M4 would have been an even better car as it will be ... only if the M-Spirit fraction (M-GmbH) had won over the cost reduction and profit maximization fraction (BMW AG) !!!
Great information. 1000 Euro is a huge savings per car. The only reason the savings is this large is because the volumes from the base are so enormous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It will be interesting.

As far as the "let's wait and see how it performs" argument . We already know what a 450 hp M3 that weighs 150-200 lbs less performs like ...
Good post. Recall my specific predictions for a slightly lighter M3 with 450 hp here in this thread.

IMHO, the KEY to the new M3 will be throttle response. If this key part of the car is nailed and turbo lag is more or less unnoticeable, the car will be a big winner. I certainly don't like the reduction in redline nor the worse sound, but I'll certainly be able to live with them. As has always been in the past the car WILL best all near competitors.

By the way just to qualify...

-I don't think the Z06 nor GT-R are really M3 competitors.
-I do think the existing 335i and 1M have too much turbo lag for an M car.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0