DiscoZ
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 991.1S, G05 X5 50i, LR Disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Are you serious?

You are claiming the next gen will also be "worse" in some way due to the motors becoming less special. Of course you should note that although I agree with that sentiment, it is absolutely beating a dead horse for discussion points about the F8X M3/4. I'm often the one to point out the contradictions - the cars become heavier and a bit less "pure" in every generation, perhaps more GT and less sports car, but the performance envelope is broadened in every single direction. Everyone has their reasons for complaining about change. You obviously just think you are special and a bit above the rest of us.

I'm only calling a spade a spade.
I didn't mean to come off as arrogant.

I do agree partially, and it is beating a dead horse. I mean the overall trends of: M branding everything (although this happened in the past, M branded non M cars --if that makes sense-- seemed to be a bit more than just a bodykit and seats); the next M3 being based on the 335i it seems, of course it is all mental masturbation until we see what the car is; and, the active sound or whatever it is called.

To be more clear: //M always stood for purity of driving (hence the apparent no turbo charging mantra) and somehow this has changed and it has nothing to do with turbocharging -- that is likely the logical next step for power (unless M builds a AMGesque big bore V8 for torque and keep the car NA) and I don't care about a straight six vs. a V8, etc. I was only commenting on the sound of the motor and each M3's characteristics. I thought I made the point in my post that each generation has been different and each time --and I have seen this except from E30 to E36 as I was too young then-- the faithful have decried the new model. Perhaps keeping the weight down and throwing in a trick souped up motor will make the car more raw. I don't know. I just want something that drives more like a E46 and sounds like a E92. I am probably asking for a lot. I did like the S54 in my Z4MC a lot and still regret trading it in for the M3.

Yes, there is a general direction towards GT's, but however look at AMG and RS. AMG has gone from making GT-ish cars to trying to make purer sportyish cars (none of these are real sports cars) - same for Audi with the RS brand. The revised RS5 is brilliant, despite being a fat pig, same for the C63 AMG with the performance package (in Canada it comes with the LSD) - it could use wider tires, but otherwise it is easily a match for the M3 on the track and more fun to drive off -- like the RS. IMO.

If the new M3 is anything like the A45 or the TT-RS, I will be a big fan.