View Single Post
      06-20-2014, 01:27 AM   #639
M3guy3
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by svc0x80 View Post
After owning several forced induction cars, N/A engines are the ones that seem boring, torque is only produced at high RPM and this makes for a terrible daily driver. Turbo cars not only make great daily drivers, but the real fun starts at 100mph+ (I'm not sure if that safe on shitty roads of Columbus). Unlike the S65, the S55 is build to handle large amounts of pressure, and that pressure results in ridiculous amounts of torque. You know higher flame front propagation rates at higher pressures. Whats the S65 pushing? a measly 300ft/lb? The N54 puts out 295 and the N55 322. Exactly how is this magnificent again? Ah yes the sound.

Compare 18+ psi on a 3.0L, the 4.0L displacement of the naturally aspirated V8 is a joke. I mean seriously if you're going to talk about magnificent V8s BMW is not the company you should reference.

The S55 is superior to both N54 and N55, closed deck (like the RB26 and 2JZ), has twin-wire arc spayed iron/carbon coating instead of liners, bore and stroke are different as are pistons and more importantly rods and crankshaft.

Its hardly just an engine with a different turbo configuration and different tune.
You can have a N/A engine that has low end torque. look at the C63 AMG or corvettes. They get the great sounding, low end power and more responsive engines. It just takes a big N/A engine to make good power at every RPM.

My biggest problem with these new trubo engines is the sound, or lack there off. The screaming sound of the S65 with a aftermarket exhaust is half the reason i wanted one. I put up with the lack of low end power to have a 8400RPM engine that sounds pretty sick.

i would say there are more people like you than me. Most just want the power.
Appreciate 0