View Single Post
      06-20-2014, 02:50 AM   #640
BMW M3 CRT
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
I say these three, 3L, inline six, same bore spacing, turbo Bimmer engines are NOT "incredibly" different. Slightly different turbo configuration, different tune. Otherwise, same basic thing. Same exact displacement, same number of cylinders, about the same redline, all turbos. It's not like I said it was the same as the (magnificent) S65 or S85 engines. This is just another 3L turbo BMW engine. You could put a tune on your X3 engine and it would be about the same thing.
Nearly (without the last statement!) totally right ... and if there are greater differences between N54/55 and the S55 to make the M engine better for track use, the most important part of an engine is even the same - the engine (powerdelivery) characteristic !!!
From an race engine like characteristic of the S65 they changed to the torque orientated characteristic of an one-for-all-engine - sure an improvement for daily drivers but an great loss of engine spirit, uniqueness and fun.

Overall the new M3/M4 is really the "best M3 ever" but despite of its engine an not because of its engine ... the rest of the car is so much better than all precessors, that the engine doesn´t count in terms of car performance.

AND only stupid 335i(only)-Fanboys will think, that the engine and powerdelivery characteristic of the S65 was like it is, because BMW M couldn´t produce an NA engine with high low end torque like the C63 AMG or Ford Mustang engine. Its all about the engine philosophy of BMW M -> "Rennsporttechnik (und -Motoren!) in Straßenfahrzeugen" ... and for all who can´t handle such an car properly there was the perfect and diverent characteristic 335i - the S65 has enough low end torque to be an good daily driver, but no single Nm more than needed, because on track only hp, linear power delivery and driveability counts and not high low end torque.
Appreciate 0