View Single Post
      06-20-2014, 02:01 PM   #652
M3guy3
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
Boring sound is A problem, but isn't the biggest problem.

Lag is #1.

Aesthetics is #2. Boring sound, low revs, not in any important way a special engine.

I think it's thrilling to run a V8 to 8400rpm. But even at lower rpm the S65 sounds magnificent.

In fact, on the street, anything E46 M3 on up is plenty fast. More power is almost exclusively useful on the track. That's where lag and abrupt power delivery is least tolerable. It's in spite of these flaws that the new engines power makes the car faster.

For me, 2/3 of my M3 miles are street, 1/3 are track. On the street I don't have to be breaking the law or driving crazy to get huge enjoyment from the S65. All I have to do is press the throttle and listen. Maybe drop it down a few gears. If there's no "special" aspect to the engine, then it's just a powerplant and really nothing better than a 335 on the street.

That ALWAYS special quality of these bespoke old M3 engines is a fantastic quality of life issue that is WHOLLY missing from the new ones.
You make good points and i agree. The problem right now is that there is a powerful M engine that is now here, and people like power. pure and simple.

Although i will say this. give it time everything is downsizing and adding turbos, that is where the future is. Most of the performance engine coming out will have similar power, similar sound, similar engine characteristics, they are also going to be the same engine etc....

The only reason why trubo engines are cool is the power they make or can make. But once every engine has a trubo it becomes the norm.

Thats when people will look back at the old engines, and see what we were "bitching" about. trust it will happen.
Appreciate 0