Thread: CA Smog Referee
View Single Post
      05-28-2020, 02:08 AM   #1
VF-1J
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80

CA Smog Referee

I got flagged driving my F80 and had to make a visit to the CA Referee for emissions and noise test. So here's a little PSA that anyone else going through this can keep in their back pocket.

First, DON'T let them pop your hood. No matter how cool the cop pretends to be!! Don't pop that hood!! They'll ticket you for your intake that isn't CARB legal.

Second, exhaust Max decibel reading is 95 dbA. Stock exhaust measured in at 89 dbA, so even if a modified exhaust can pass smog, it "might" not pass the exhaust noise test.

Third, aftermarket intercooler are completely legal. Passed. Definitely useful and much needed for higher boost and upgraded turbo setups. That said, my BMS intercooler and PS2 passed the visual test, as expected.

Fourth, Before you go, make sure you complete a Drive Cycle so ALL monitors check out.

Last thing, beware of your tuned DME. IF you have a problem with this, you can go through BPM Sport. Mike there really knows his stuff!!! And after you pass, you can ask him to custom tune your car. Anyhow, even though my car would pass a standard smog test, the referee hooks up and reads the DME. I flashed back to stock and the referee still saw that the DME was tampered with. BMW dealership could not reprogram my car and tried to get me to buy a new one for $2,000 plus labor. No thanks! Other places wanted $1000+ to pull out DME, bench it, and reprogram it. Plus, they said it would take a day, maybe two .... BPM Sport took care of it in minutes, they were reasonably priced, and it was done perfectly! So, I completed a Drive Cycle the next morning, went to referee, and passed with flying colors.

Good luck everyone!!

Last edited by VF-1J; 05-28-2020 at 02:13 AM..
Appreciate 3
BPMSport3386.50
guess2098516.00