View Single Post
      02-15-2016, 10:41 AM   #97
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Just for the record, I was the first person to bring up the fact that power/torque levels shouldn't affect the crank hub or have anything to do with it spinning. I tried to explain my reasoning in the first thread towards the very beginning when we found out that crank hubs were spinning and TPG released their solution.

I've also stated to several members and friends privately that I believed the issue might be with DCT cars shifting as fast as they do, especially on kick-down going from a very low RPM to high RPM in a matter of a few milliseconds. And the few instances of this happening on 6mt cars were most likely from "money shifts" where not only is the engine experiencing higher RPM's than designed for, but the acceleration to the high RPM over-rev is very fast due to the much lower gear that was chosen by accident that facilited the "money shift".

I now personally believe that the stock crank hub is there to help protect the engine in a 6mt car in the event of an over-rev by allowing the crank hub to fail before the engine experiences valve-float which could lead to valve-to-piston contact and/or bent/broken connecting rods and wrist-pins from said over-rev. Because BMW has been using this same crank-hub assembly since 2001, they believed that this crank hub would still be effective on the new DCT cars, and for cost and manufacturing reasons they continued to use it on the DCT cars, despite the fact that the DCT cars shift much faster than their older DCT and auto trans counterparts of the past and despite the fact that a DCT car can't be over-revved.

What I believe needs to happen at this point is that BMW (or the aftermarket) needs to design a new crank hub with a proper woodruff key on the actual crank snout to keep the whole assembly from rotating altogether. TPG's design doesn't actually address the crank hub spinning at all as it can still spin and when it does, the modifications to the timing gear and pinned hub make matters even worse.

That said, I would still keep using the stock crank hub assembly on a 6mt car for reasons I stated above.
Appreciate 8