View Single Post
      06-25-2014, 02:47 PM   #38
M3 n X5M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 M, 2008 e90 M3 6 MT.

Unfair comparisons of an aging Audi RS5 platform vs. the newest M4 BMW platform will yield these kinds of results. Recall that the RS4 was already slower than the e92 M3.

My recollection is also that even an x5M beat an RS4 in a track state side on a video I saw online some time back. I do not recall the video link but the x5M was faster!

In any case, the E92 platform vs. the M4 platform should be the objective comparison. This would demonstrate the progress in evolution of e92 --> F82. How much faster? Don't just take BMW's words... try it yourself.

A more worthwhile comparison would be to show how far the M4 is to a GT3 or a 911 Turbo. On a track, how much time lapse between the Porsche GT3 or a turbo winning vs. the M4 catching up. And of course, another comparison would be to show what the M4 can do with dedicated slicks. After all, the car is touted as a track car, and with some learning of the car and minor acceptance of defeat, the M4 should come in not far behind... and the question is how far behind? And if the difference is not that bad, then if you are a good driver you may take on a race with one of these guys at a local track and see how you do.

Comparing to other coupes and other sedans like the e63 family etc... is an old story, just like the RS5 comparison. The merc is softer and more focused on luxury.
Appreciate 0