01-16-2019, 06:31 AM   #5
jmciver
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP - Smoked Topaz

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Since I don't plan on removing the B-124 from my car on a routine basis, I would rather install it in a more permanent and out of the way location - just a personal preference. I had my eye on investigating the area under the trunk liner where the ASD module is located (the area opposite where the main car battery is located in the trunk on the driver side). However, I wanted an idea of how much air flow it needs due heat generation from normal charging/discharging.

As you already alluded to, the battery technology used in this backup battery is already conducive to the potentially "harsh" temperature environment in a car (as our car battery shares the same technology). So I am not too worried about it from a safety perspective - at least where I currently have it installed. But I was curious about any real world experience regarding how warm the battery gets during normal operation, particularly in warm climates.

I can't do any testing of my own due to the "deep freeze" we are having in the mid-Atlantic right now 🙂.