View Single Post
      04-28-2014, 07:53 PM   #231
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
Not so much. BMW only gets you to 18 psi at altitude. Using the common, good-to-6000-feet "standard" that most manufacturers use for overboost, plus the rule-of-thumb three percent loss per thousand feet of altitude, you can look for a gross power gain of about 18% if you run 18 psi at sea level, which should not overtax the turbos at all.

Let's see. Eighteen percent of 425 horsepower gets you, hm-m, carry the twelve...

Wow. Even with additional heating due to increased boost at sea level, an additional 50 horsepower seems as if it would be a walk in the park.

I bet they'll get even more than that.

Bruce
THIS.

If you guys weren't ridiculously excited to read the little blurb about how this car can compensate for altitude completely stock by increasing boost with a huge smile on your face. . . The turbos are RIPE to offer that "compensation boost" at sea level, that is amazing news and means that before any consideration of being "underrated" they actually have accessible additional boost just asking to be inducted forcibly!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but theoretically you might not even need a tune. Really you should just need a sealed low pressure environment over a sensor somewhere. . . Of course non of us know the way the tech works so Im speculating, but surely somewhere there is a sensor taking altitude readings. . . Now that navi is standard hopefully its not through that system!

Anyway its good food for thought.

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 0