FIN_Nole
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIN_Nole View Post
Wow, very interesting and thanks for the info. Clearly a great option to drastically improve the odds for it working when desired.

Out of curiosity, does this also help decrease inadvertent trunk openings (caused by shadows or sometimes just walking by)?

Mine never works when I attempt the 'kick', but randomly I'll park when the sun seems to be at just the right angle and the littlest movement will trigger the sensor when I'm anywhere near the trunk. And then I spend the next minute or two battling with it continuously reopening until I figure out where i can stand to close the trunk without it triggering again. At home i'll just toss the key and close it, but not a great option for a public parking lot (although I probably look pretty stupid either way).

It's ridiculous but I generally walk around the front of the car now just to avoid it altogether...Dealership quoted me $180 to code it off (said they have to charge since they couldn't reproduce the issue).
Do you have the BMW M Performance Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser? If your trunk opens randomly it seems unlikely that you have this diffuser because it's rare that the kick-to-open feature works correctly after installing the diffuser. I literally have never had the trunk open inadvertently due to proximity since I installed the diffuser. Some aftermarket "carbon fiber" diffusers don't cause this problem because the material is not actually carbon fiber.

This fix works because it insulates the CF diffuser from the metal heat shield. If you don't have this diffuser this fix wouldn't make any difference in the way yours works because the stock piece is plastic.

Are you sure it's not because the button on your key fob is getting pushed while in your pocket?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIN_Nole View Post
Wow, very interesting and thanks for the info. Clearly a great option to drastically improve the odds for it working when desired.

Out of curiosity, does this also help decrease inadvertent trunk openings (caused by shadows or sometimes just walking by)?

Mine never works when I attempt the 'kick', but randomly I'll park when the sun seems to be at just the right angle and the littlest movement will trigger the sensor when I'm anywhere near the trunk. And then I spend the next minute or two battling with it continuously reopening until I figure out where i can stand to close the trunk without it triggering again. At home i'll just toss the key and close it, but not a great option for a public parking lot (although I probably look pretty stupid either way).

It's ridiculous but I generally walk around the front of the car now just to avoid it altogether...Dealership quoted me $180 to code it off (said they have to charge since they couldn't reproduce the issue).
Do you have the BMW M Performance Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser? If your trunk opens randomly it seems unlikely that you have this diffuser because it's rare that the kick-to-open feature works correctly after installing the diffuser. I literally have never had the trunk open inadvertently due to proximity since I installed the diffuser. Some aftermarket "carbon fiber" diffusers don't cause this problem because the material is not actually carbon fiber.

This fix works because it insulates the CF diffuser from the metal heat shield. If you don't have this diffuser this fix wouldn't make any difference in the way yours works because the stock piece is plastic.

Are you sure it's not because the button on your key fob is getting pushed while in your pocket?
Yeah, M Performance diffuser straight from the factory and it's not the key fob button. I probably shouldn't have said 'randomly'. The cause for the trigger is definitely shadow related and very difficult to replicate. But when it does happen, it's a major pain. I walk past, it triggers, I close the trunk, then immediately after closing it triggers again. Have repeated that process 15+ times in a single sitting before either flipping the lock switch in the glove box, getting my key fob further away before closing, or finding a lucky spot where I can stand and close it without re-triggering.

Seriously, nobody else has had this happen? It's my one and only complaint I've ever had about this car.
Appreciate 0