View Single Post
      01-12-2020, 09:34 AM   #15
noone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
No I was just saying the LL01 approval is very hard to find now. Actually, the LL01FE approval appears to be even harder to find outside of the BMW branded oil. I think Motul may make an LL01FE oil and that's it.

Is the bmw approval is very important to you than your options are limited to the BMW branded oil or a very few others that still carry the LL01 approval. Personally, I use Castrol 0w40 which up until very recently did carry the LL01 approval (no longer does) but still carries the approval from every other German manufacturer (Porsche, Merc, VW). It's a fantastic all around oil and can be found anywhere for a low price.
Since the sticker under the hood says SAE 0W-30, why do you prefer 0W-40?

Why not use the Castrol Edge 0W-30 A3/B4 oil? (Edit, I guess they don't sell it anymore and these guys are saying 0W-40 is closest. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...ing-edge-0w-30)

I agree with you and am looking for an easily locally available oil that is appropriate for every 5K oil changes. And I'm not hung up on LL-01. I guess the A3/B4 rating is more important.

I'm not really looking at Pentosin or Liqui Moly or Motu now since the cost of those is not much less than the dealership oil. I'll just buy the dealership oil in this case.

I guess my choice then is BMW oil or Castrol Edge 0w-40. 1 oil change using BMW oil = $63 or 2 oil changes with Castrol for $75. + tax.

Side question that is related- Do the Mann oil filters come with the correct size crush washer?

Last edited by noone; 01-12-2020 at 10:01 AM..
Appreciate 0