Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky dj View Post
I'd argue no longer unique with the core components of an M, such as a closed deck block, air-to-water intercooler and mechanical water pump (key cooling components), and a locking differential... all lacking in any E90, F30, etc. It also has performance brake calipers, and stiffer track rated suspension... in which most M aficionados upgrade those variable parts anyways. Its not like with an M you're getting a Porsche GT3 or a McLaren out of the box and saying "well I can't do anything or it's moot to upgrade this car anyways..."

As we are constantly repeating ourselves. To finally end this thread and debate: you and I are both sitting in the BMW Welt boardroom over in Munich. Harald Krueger and Markus Flasch look over to us and say "Gentlemen, we need a car name or a moniker for the capable G20 B58 to compete with our chief rivals Mercedes' C43 and Audi's S division" ...to that you say what?
I think the "is" designation makes the most sense. Separates those cars from the base 3er or whatever and slots it in nicely below the true M cars.

For example, I had 2 different 135s (one N54, one N55) and they were great cars. But the 135is was a nice, incremental improvement over the base car, yet still distinguishable from the full on 1M.

It's easy, does the job, and doesn't water down the ///Moniker. Just my $.02...
I liked the IS designations as well, although all it was a DCT (a big improvement) and minor trim details from a normal 335i.

Problem I see is the bigwigs at BMW GmbH probably see the IS designation —to the general consumer who are just looking at the badge— as step below the AMG43 and S5, already alienating themselves out of that market competition.

If they could come up with a better "M-lite" moniker, I think that would appeal to all parties. Like a MP3, MS3 or something like that (ML3 sounds too Merc).
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50