08-01-2013, 06:29 AM   #120
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
Ah, in that case, I don't think waveform analysis is sufficient to identify the difference without some very specific circumstances. E.g., a V6 with dual exhaust, and a stereo mic placed on the centerline.

If you had a very detailed recording, you could examine the waveform from various examples of V6 engines versus I6 engines, but you'd need a high quality recording with many samples. Ultimately, I think there are too many confounding factors, like exhaust design and turbocharger configuration.
Agree. For example listen to this video. The cars are all Subaru's with a flat 4 (horizontally opposed) engine. All the cars except the Blue Hatchback (around 0:25, and the video front image) are the common Subaru exhaust headers Turbo one side of engine fed with unequal lenght headers from each bank), which give an uneven 'subaru burble'. The car at 0:25 is fitted with the 'Twin Scroll' equal length headers, which changes it's sound completely, it sounds like an inline 4 (which it should as firing timing is exactly the same as an inline 4). Ignore the first 'anti lag' rev pops for this one.

On a parallel twin turbo straight six, although not as dramatic as the Subaru, the front 3 cylinders typically have a longer exhaust path, which phases the sound out of sync with the rear 3. This could give the impression it is a V shaped engine sound. Certainly the M3/M4 doesn't sound like a conventional inline 6.

Appreciate 0