12-19-2013, 02:58 AM   #136
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Earl
I have read every single post in this thread and have realized something very interesting:

* More than 99% of the people who liked the new car currently do NOT own an M3.
* Almost not a single person who currently owns an M3 liked the new car over the old one (except one person).

(I completely apologize for this because I know how this is going to sound) I genuinely think that we should have a way of distinguishing people who come here to just to post, who will probably never not even test drive an M3 let alone buy one from the ones who will be able to afford the car. On top of that, I "wish" we had a way for putting more emphasis on the opinions of people who currently do own an M3. I think what they have to say about the new car is more important than someone who has no intentions to own it.

I think if we had a cut and dry distinction people these two groups of people, you'd see a major shift in perspective and opinion on the new car which could raise some eyebrows in BMW.

A lot of similar comments were seen all over the web in 2006 and all those "opinionated" arm chair theorists disappeared soon after E9X was released and continued to drive whatever it was they were driving. Maybe less than 1% of the participants in these threads ended up buying the car and for all intents and purposes, I could care less what those other people think (and neither should BMW unless they want it to look like everyone likes their car).
You have no idea what cars the people who like the F80/82 have owned prior to their current car, and assumptions only make you look silly in the end. Just because some of us no longer own our M3's - by choice - doesn't invalidate what we have to say. It's quite a preposterous and arrogant statement to suggest that those here who will never own an ///M shouldn't be able to provide/share their perspective(s). After all, as car 'enthusiasts', we comment all day long about cars we don't own, never intend to own or cannot afford, and I'm sure you were adding your input about BMW's and/or ///M cars long before you actually owned one as well. Pointing your nose at a 45 degree angle doesn't make your opinion worth more than anybody else's.
Appreciate 0