United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcnash View Post
Dont mean to belabor this...not much we can do about what BMW decides to do anyway, but you still havent given me a reason why you think it makes sense to re-badge the M3 coupe to an M4, like you said earlier.
Ignoring the potential for price increases, the reasoning seemed to be that there would be a simplification in the model designations even though it involved introducing new model numbers. With the new scheme, it would be easy to tell customers that even numbered models designated 2-door coupes/hatches/roadsters/convertibles, while odd numbered models designated the 4-door variants. This just seemed logical to me. Of course, what throws this off is the introduction of 4-door gran coupes that are also even numbered.

I also liked the logical model names of the older standard series cars where the first number stood for the series, and the second two numbers stood for the actual engine displacement. After the model names began to no longer represent the engine displacement accurately, I decided I really don't care what the car is called as long as it performs and is well executed.