View Single Post
      08-07-2018, 09:57 AM   #56
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarPundit View Post
I don't dispute anything that has been said here, but for me, any Tesla is a hard pass for a number of reasons. First (and most importantly), they are FUGLY. Second, they do not burn petrol. Third, they whine instead of growling, grunting, thunking and screeching. Fourth, Elon Musk. Fifth, They are built on corporate welfare based upon BS climate change alarmism. Sixth, they have no soul. Seventh, Elon Musk. Eighth, they can't be quickly and conveniently refueled. Ninth, The people who drive them have a false sense of moral superiority that I just can't be associated with on any level.

I don't care how fast they are or how well they handle, they do nothing for me at all. I can't stand them. And they are all around me.
I'm with you on #8. That is definitely a pain in the ass, no doubt, and is the main barrier to entry for me.

The rest of it is just noise (or lack thereof - ha! ) and FUD. In general I try to pay as little attention as possible to what the hand-wavers may say and give as little regard as I can for shenanigans they pull, Elon Musk included. Don't let rhetoric, pageantry, or tradition distract you or tie you down, I say.

To wit, an EV, some would say, is worse for the environment than an ICE due to the processes required to obtain the materials for the batteries or magnets or whatever else goes into these fancy contraptions. Not to mention, their eventual disposal. It may very well be true, but I honestly don't care. Someone else can sort that out and solve the problem.

Me, I just want an affordable high performance sport sedan that I can "refuel" at home and can essentially just "forget about it" with respect to routine maintenance. Why? Because I like things simple. And, yes, I am lazy. So bring on the EV's.

If, back when I bought my M3 in 2014, there were a competing sport sedan on the market that ticked the right boxes -- blasted from 0-60 in 3.5s (or less according to early tests), handled well (again, according to tests), and available at a price of $64k - $7.5k -- well it would probably be in my garage right now. Sure you can spend $80k, but I don't need to beta test autonomous driving tech at this juncture, and no, I don't need a CF spoiler or shiny wheels. Ok, so you might get me to pony up the extra $1.5k (was $1k until recently, you rascals!) to get a blue one instead of a black one.

And, you know what - I have this feeling a lot of folks out there feel the same way. Like me, they just want the cheapest, simplest thing to do the task, and they don't want to (and won't) think much deeper about it than that. Right now, that "thing" is still an ICE vehicle for most. But, that's set to change here next decade (so get ready for it), and the Model 3 gives the early adopter the chance to get on board now. At the end of the day, I think that's pretty cool.
Appreciate 1