View Single Post
      05-29-2014, 11:03 AM   #318
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpippolo View Post
That would help a lot. If I could on average even get the 24 mpg I get in my 3.6L ATS, that would work. And I really don't want a bigger heavier car. In my younger days I had 2 Miatas and and RX-8. Heaviest car I've owned in many years was a E90 335xi. I actually left BMW for my ATS because it felt more nimble that the 335i (I was shocked). I really enjoy nimble cars (but now also want a litttle luxury). The M3 semed like a fantastic compromise in terms of luxury v performance (want a decent back seat, otherwise would be looking at 911S). I want a car that I'm excited to get into, and think this would fit the bill. By the time I test drive and order we should have some early returns on fuel consumption, so have not ruled it out. Appreciate you giving me some hope. I've been thinking about this car almost every day for six months now.
I found that fuel consumption numbers from owners is pretty much useless indicators of what you will get. A much better method is to check what your mpg is in your current car vs it's EPA numbers. That's very likely where your average will be on an F8X vs it's EPA numbers. For example I'm getting 1.5 mpg over the EPA city number as average in my E90 M3. I assume to get the same with the F80, i.e 18.5 mpg.

You get 24 mpg vs the EPA 18 mpg city rating on your ATS. So I would except you to get 6 mpg over the 17 mpg city on the F80. I.e 23 mpg average.

Last edited by solstice; 05-29-2014 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0