Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 Azurite/Opal DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92TiAg335i View Post
It sounds great. Did you replace the resonator with that X pipe as well?

Also— i have catless downpipes. Will it still sound fine?

Last but not least— how easy/hard is this welding process? I have a buddy who is somewhat of a snob when it comes to exhausts (he's an engineer who works at renntech) and told me it has to tig welded otherwise it will be terrible.

I did not do the x pipe. The factory resonator is a perforated H pipe with no packing so I didn't see the benefit of doing so. I was trying to kill rasp and stock had enough of it so the resonators were the perfect solution in my case.

I had stock downpipes, and I personally have not heard a single catless F80 that I thought sounded good, so I'd rather not give my opinion on the combo because it's subjective and I'm already biased in the wrong direction. But if I was doing this myself, I'd probably find the equivalent resonator that's longer than the 14156 and weld those in.

I wouldn't worry too much whether it's MIG or TIG. MIG is much uglier but it gets the job done. Plenty of aftermarket exhausts are MIG welded and hold up just fine. But the easy way for a layman welder to do it without worrying about fitting is to just do one side at a time. Weld in the resonator on one side before cutting the other. The bracket and resonator will hold the entire assembly together for you to be able to finish one side and then do the other without needing to test fit it and tack it up first. I did that with mine at a local machine shop that doesn't work on cars at all and it fit perfectly with this method.
Gotcha. So it seems like i can just take it to a reputable exhaust shop.

I like the sound of these cars with catless downpipes and some of the rasp they produce. Reminds me of my FBO e46 m3.

I just want to hear the actual turbos like my 335 sounded— which means the secondary cats gotta go! I just don't want insanely loud and ugly rasp. Hoping these resonators can just refine that straight pipe sound a bit.