View Single Post
      03-23-2020, 06:48 AM   #256
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

For what it's worth I've had powerstop pads sitting in my garage for 2 years and my OEM pads just kept kicking butt. At 71k miles, I was on all OEM pads and rotors and still had life left.

I decided to swap to powerstop when I swapped to summer wheels/tires. I'm on 18" OEM wheels.

First off: The OEM pads were doing great. Besides brake fluid changes, my pads have never been touched. I tapped out the caliper spring retaining pins using a small drill bit (lol). The pads needed a bit of leverage using a screwdriver to loosen them against the rotors and then slid out without hassle despite lots of build-up. The OEM rotors have meaningful build-up of rust/corrosion in the drilled holes, rotor lip, and inside near the rotor hat. But honestly, it doesn't impact function and the rotors are very thick and high quality pieces.

Second: The powerstop pads also feel well done. The shims are well secured and well placed. The weights on top did concern me but feel very well secured and, once properly secured in the calipers, clear the wheel barrels by a reasonable amount of space. The supplied grease with the pads were inadequate which makes me wonder if others who have had squeal because they don't have enough anti-squeal grease on their backing plates/shims. I used wheel hub/wheel bearing grease I've had for years and never had squeal on. We shall see how they perform.

Looking forward to a much less dusty summer on my beautiful OEM 513s.
Appreciate 0