03-06-2017, 03:08 PM   #55
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingikra View Post
Again, an extraordinary useful information!

Then, again, I'll be there from April 9th night till April 12th evening. Not too much to see whatever you've suggested here.

On the 12th, I might be able to visit the market and eat this delicious looking pork :-)
Great!

I found a listing of Volksfests for the Spring time(Frühlingsfest)... maybe you can use it for your next visit to DE.

http://www.ganz-muenchen.de/volksfes...ste_index.html

There is a Frühlingsfest in Nürnberg from April 15th until May 1st, 2017. The Nürnberg is one of the rather large fests held next door to the Nazi Congress Hall.

Frühlingsfest in Nürnberg held here...
https://www.google.de/maps/place/Vol...d11.1097?hl=en

Stuttgarter Frühlingsfest from April 15th until May 7th, 2017
http://stuttgarter-fruehlingsfest.de/de/home/

The Stuttgart Fest held in Bad Cannstatt(near the MB Museum) is a rather large fest. I'd say any of these three fests would be worth while to visit while visiting Germany. But each region has it's own fest.

Quote:
Your explanation about speeding cameras and traffic signs is priceless. When I was in Frankfurt, half a year ago, I remember that it was a big issue not knowing where can I drive fast on the autobahn. On top of that, I have no idea how dangerous it is (police wise) to go fast in the twisty roads. I took some chances because I wanted to enjoy :-)
The Germans are pretty relaxed about speeding fines. The fines are higher for speeding inside the city limits.

Going thru a red light(~400 euros) or speeding in a construction zone on the Autobahn will cost you too.

Basically don't speed on the Autobahn in construction zones or when the Auto intersects with another Autobahn or on a bridge or tunnel with a speed limit of 100 or 80 kph. This is where the cameras are! Also... IF the speed limit ever goes down to 60 kph on the Autobahn... for sure there are cameras out!

The Autobahn polizei(they have normal looking cars with big engines) are looking for the BIG fish(people going more than +40 kph over the limit)... usually they leave everyone alone for small infractions. I usually drive no more than 20 kph over the limit... when on the Autobahn. But there are some areas where I drive the limit... bc I know they are the "hot spots" that they like to setup cameras.

Also... even though it's illegal(just recently, now) I have all the photo radar locations(POI) on my Navi(GPS) installed. Also my Navi has TMC(Traffic Management Channel) which detects Stau's(traffic jams) and accidents AND radar locations. Also IF you listen to the radio... the radio stations will broadcast WHERE the radar(Blitzer's) are. They will just say: "Blitzer" auf der A8... blahh blahh and the city or exit(Ausfahrt).

Here is a chart of the fines for speeding in Germany...
https://www.bussgeldkatalog.org/gesc...berschreitung/

Fines: Outside the city roads/Bundesstrasse or on Autobahn...

up to +10 kph... 10 €
…11 to 15 km/h 20 €
…16 to 20 km/h 30 €
…21 to 25 km/h 70 € 1 point on your driver's lic
…26 to 30 km/h 80 € 1 point, +one month you loose your lic
…31 to 40 km/h 120 € 1 point, +one month you loose your lic
…41 to 50 km/h 160 € 2 points, +one month you loose your lic
…51 - 60 km/h 240 € 2 points, +one month you loose your lic
…61 - 70 km/h 440 € 2 points, +Two month you loose your lic
über +70 km/h 600 € 2 points, +Three month you loose your lic

Fines for speeding INSIDE the city or yellow town signs...

up to.. +10 km/h 15 €
...11 to 15 km/h 25 €
...16 to 20 km/h 35 €
...21 to 25 km/h 80 € 1 point on your driver's lic
...26 to 30 km/h 100 € 1 point on your driver's lic
...31 to 40 km/h 160 € 2 points, +one month you loose your lic
...41 to 50 km/h 200 € 2 points, +one month you loose your lic
...51 to 60 km/h 280 € 2 points, +two months you loose your lic
...61 to 70 km/h 480 € 2 points, +three months you loose your lic
..über 70 km/h 680 € 2 points, +three months you loose your lic

As you can see... speeding in Germany is relatively cheap compared to some other draconian countries like the Netherlands or Switzerland. In Switzerland just going a few kph over their 120 Autobahn limit can cost you a few hundred euros. And anything faster than +40 kph, the Swiss can and will take your car!

The big thing that is a big No, NO on the Autobahn is to pass on the right. This is frowned on.

Btw... NO Right Turn on RED in Germany!!

Name:  right on red - after stopping   gruen-pfeil.jpg
Views: 1634
Size:  11.4 KB
It's only in some large cities will you see a green right turn light or a metal green arrow at the light. On lights with the metal green arrow, you CAN turn right only AFTER coming to a stop! But even most German's don't understand this, and run the light. lol

IF the traffic light has a green lit arrow... you can only turn right when its lit/on!

Quote:
I'm not sure I'll have time and extra KMs to drive on the A9 but I might exceed the amount of 500KMs for that matter.
Well... your drive on the A8 and A93 has some fast areas too. Its just the A9 is my racetrack. It is a very fast Autobahn.

You could just drive the A9 from Garching/Eching until Holledau, then turn back to Munich. The Allershausen area is quite good for some high speed runs ~250. It's just further up North... the road is really straight and fast! You can safely travel at 300 kph up there.

Since you mentioned the Frankfurt area... Here are a few nice Autobahn areas... The A3 from Frankfurt(Offenbach) heading to Aschaffenburg is quite nice now. All new three lanes of Autobahn. Then once you get past Aschaffenburg(and their tunnels) the drive from Aschaffenburg to Würzburg is a good stretch.

Also when in Frankfurt the A5 heading South to Heidelberg & Hockenheim is a nice Autobahn. But I have not driven there in a few years... and the last time I was there - they had the Autobahn all torn apart!

Bernd Rosemeyer Memorial...
https://www.google.de/maps/place/Ber....6027026?hl=en

On the A5 heading South... just before the Mörfelden-Walldorf exit is a small rest area. Most people pay no attention to it. This was the place where Bernd Rosemeyer att around 11am, on January 28th, 1938, crashed his Auto Union rekord car on the A5 Autobahn. I think he was driving in excess of 440 kph when he lost control of the car. Some say the car blew apart from the aerodynamics. It's a cool place to go visit.

Bernd Rosemeyer Denkmal Restplatz on the A5 Autobahn…
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411715

Name:  Bernd Rosemeyer Denkmal Restplatz on the A5 Autobahn IMG_3423.jpg
Views: 1915
Size:  143.3 KB

Name:  Bernd Rosemeyer Denkmal Restplatz on the A5 Autobahn IMG_3386.jpg
Views: 1829
Size:  203.2 KB

Name:  Bernd Rosemeyer Denkmal Restplatz on the A5 Autobahn IMG_3394.jpg
Views: 1840
Size:  105.3 KB

Name:  Bernd Rosemeyer Denkmal Restplatz on the A5 Autobahn IMG_3651.jpg
Views: 1901
Size:  97.5 KB

This part of the A5 was used by the Nazi's for high speed record runs in the late thirties. It was mainly a battle between AutoUnion(Audi, run by Ferdinand Porsche) and Mercedes Benz.

BMW also raced here on the A5... but in only in the motorcycle class. Ernst Henne drove 280 kph(!)here.

Here is Henne's motorcycle as seen in the BMW Museum in Munich.
Name:  IMG_3811.jpg
Views: 1840
Size:  109.8 KB

Name:  IMG_3808.jpg
Views: 1927
Size:  168.1 KB

Name:  IMG_3816.jpg
Views: 1865
Size:  135.4 KB

Another interesting car place in the Frankfurt area is Klassikstadt.

Dackel’s tour of Klassikstadt: Frankfurt, Germany…
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=636805

Quote:
As for BMW brand, I'm here for you ha ha ha. Not because I'm a fan of BMW. I like all kinds of cars including BMW. Here I own a Cadillac ATS-V which is one of the deadly rivals of the M3. I'm sure they are both great cars!!

Thanks

Do you know you can rent most any BMW at the BMW Welt thru the "BMW on Demand" program. Most of the cars start at around 35 euros per hour and go up too 100 euros. They have M cars and even i-brand cars and e-scooters. When you rent for four hours... you get to keep the car over night. BMW even charges you for the fuel... so no need to top up the tank when you return it. The program is quite cool. Of course you can also rent nice cars from Sixt or Europcar. In the Neiderlassung(factory run BMW dealer up the street from the Welt) there is a SIXT rental place downstairs next to where the Individual cars are on display.

https://portal.bmw-on-demand.de/inde...display#modell

Fast cars are additive. Recent BMW's have gotten softer while the competition has gained ground on them. I think its cool your into BMW's and the history over here.

Enjoy your trip!
Dackel
Appreciate 0