View Single Post
      03-01-2019, 05:56 PM   #3
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83

Garage List
There are definitely more than a few of us in the same boat as you: We want to tune, but are worried about a SCH. I, like you, would like to do something preventative, but am unwilling to spend $3-5k on a preventative measure for something that may or, more likely, may not break on my engine. This is where the Crank Bolt Capture is appealing. It's inexpensive and fairly easy to install.

Unfortunately, no one is going to tell us anything other than "it's not the complete solution". tom @ eas does a nice job explaining why the Crank Bolt Capture alone will not necessarily prevent a SCH in this post. However, there are some people, like CloudVIII, who have suffered multiple SCHs and, to my knowledge, have had no further failures since the installation of the Crank Bolt Capture. This gives me hope. I know it's not the full solution to the SCH problem, but I would rather do a little something in hopes that it will work than do nothing.

I am heavily leaning towards installing it before I take the car out of hibernation and then doing a light tune (ie. BM3 CS or CS+). I would like to perform the work myself, as the installation of the part itself seems fairly straight forward, but what I don't know is how much $hit has to be removed in the front of the engine to access the pulley.

EDIT:

Crank Bolt Capture installed. My DIY can be found here.

Last edited by Rotzy; 03-21-2019 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: Added link to DIY
Appreciate 10