12-07-2019, 05:58 AM   #51
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboogie315 View Post
I'm so curious. If I added a second outlet right before the muffler to be a quad tip I wonder if it'll change the sound back to the farty s55. Could you also PM me the price for TOP gear to piece the exhaust?
An extra pipe pre-muffler with a valve as a muffler bypass is definitely possible. There are no packaging restrictions impeding the implementation of the second pipe. But there's no way this would be tolerable with OEM valve logic. It would be stupid loud, and in my opinion, most people probably wouldn't like it. You'd need a valve controller that only opens when you want it to for it to be tolerable. Just think of how loud AWE track exhaust is, and that's a dual exit. Single exits are even louder. You'd probably get some hearing loss with enough pulls. Forget going catless

Regarding the tone - the secret isn't in the muffler, it's in the merged equal length design (obviously we all know this). Regardless, this is a raspy ass engine, and a muffler bypass will be a louder, tinnier sounding version of what you hear now. If I were to do this, I'd most likely try to fit in a small resonator before the muffler bypass. It would look weird as hell underneath the car, but then there may actually be a chance that it doesn't sound horrible. If people really want to know, I guess I could just cut off the muffler and record it for everyone haha. Much cheaper R&D than implementing it for the sake of dual exit.

As for me, I have perfect tone and volume right now, so a muffler bypass just isn't something I'm personally interested in. I'm probably going to put that money into a custom single exit diffuser. We'll see.

Regarding pricing - it's best to contact TopGear directly. I wouldn't mind using my car for fab & fitment, but you'd need to see if shipping is something TopGear is interested in. I'm walking a fine line right now - if I start getting involved in shipping peoples' systems, even as a good will favor, I doubt mods are going to see it that way. I'm not a vendor, and don't want to be banned because someone might think I'm starting to smell like one.
Appreciate 0