Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
If your vehicle is a US-spec 2016 Model year and beyond, which has the "Professional" iDrive system (standard on the M4), then it already has a 4G LTE telemetry, rending a hardware upgrade unnecessary.
This is what I seem to remember learning when I first bought the car 5 years ago. It was of particular interest to me because of our experience with the 2G->3G transition that we experienced in my wife's 2011 335is Coupe. Not sure why BMW thinks I have 3G when my car clearly thinks it has 4G.
Yea, it seems a lot of folks are getting the same exact notification, some I assume are in error but I can't confirm this with certainty because some members here are not clear on what model of vehicle they own, so the jury is still out.

Regardless, I'm positive you have an iDrive with 4G telemetry; mines a 2016 also but an M2 and is 4G LTE with auto (regional) map updates.

BMW discontinued 3G telematics for the 2016 model year and above on the "Professional" unit (standard on all model year F8Xs) i.e: 8.8 screen, touch controller, DVD player, ect for all US-spec vehicles.

If your vehicle has the standard 6.5 inch iDrive interface (not applicable on any or all F8Xs), the one that's inclusive on the base model BMWs, when you don't opt for the "Professional" iDrive unit,'then up to 2017 model year, those would still run on 3G telematics.

Factually, all US-spec M3/M4s for the 2016 model year and beyond uses a 4G LTE connection.

Sometimes when traveling in rural areas throughout US, the iDrive might still display "3G" - since that's the highest tier connect available but the overall hardware is provisioned to alternate between 3/4G LTE service, whichever one is available.

3G Discontinuation Notice https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1823438

Technology Upgrade Notification https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1823618
Appreciate 2