CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
No I haven't, just the MPSCs. However, here is an informative review by someone that knows how to evaluate all things cars:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=24

My approach is to pick a tire and learn that as best as I can through my own tests, data and experience. I don't race, just DEs, hence there is no point for me to try to find the best tire each year per some regulation. I believe if I know my tires, I'll be faster than people with better tires that don't understand how to get the best of them; at least that's how I am rationalizing things

NT01s are really good tires, but just like any other, you need to learn them. Have it shaved to 5/32nds (for DE longevity, 2/32nds for qualifying performance), and do a prep heat cycle, let it sit in ambient temps above 40 deg for 24 hrs, then go hard on them. I know people who have run them very strongly for over 40 heat cycles until it cords. I think they are very economical, forgiving, but not good in wet conditions or I should say worse than R888s or MPSC2s.

I used R888s for nearly 8 years, I understand them and like them a lot. Very similar to NT01s with one crucial difference: its sidewall is stiffer than NT01s, hence with camber challenged cars, they tend to work well. Also, I believe, NT01s need slightly more camber, above -2, but don't quote me on this. R888s work just fine starting from -1.7. So, for my stock car @ 19" size R888s I think are the best choice for me.
One of the big advantages of the NT01 is that they are pretty much immune to heat cyclying. They wear out before they heat cycle out. Actually, I have run my best laps with corded tires. So there is absolutely no need to have them heat cycled before running them at the track. They really are a no hassle tire.

Further, they have pretty large thread blocks to start with and therefore don't see much thread deformation at full thread. I don't recommend shaving them if longer life is the goal. If you are after lap times (competitive event) then yes. But for longer life, keep the full thread. Once the NT01 are half worn, they loose their thread block and get grippier (hence the benefit of shaving). At that point you can flip them inside out to balance wear and extend their life even further.

I can back up your comment about them liking camber, I used to run -2.8 front and -1.8 rear on my E92. I also agree that they are not good in the rain. They remain grippy on a damp track, but as soon as there is the slightest accumulation, they lose their grip.

I used to love the Toyo RA1 on my ol' GTi. The NT01 feels like a RA1 for heavier cars with a stiffer carcass and bigger thread blocks.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 3