SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelvaar View Post
When I get a new car, I always take time to configure the mirror settings, in such way that when a car (that is overtaking me) disappears from the rear view mirror, it already shows up in the left side mirror. And when it disappears from the left side mirror, I can already see it in the corner of my eye to my left. For this, the mirrors have to be set 'wide' e.g. when I look in my left mirror, I almost don't see any bits of my own car.

Looking into your blind spot = taking your eyes off the road ahead of you... is that what is being teached as best practice ?
Yes, looking into your blind spot is being taught as best practice because you will not pass the CA DMV test if you change lanes without looking in your blind spot. Lane changes include pulling away from the curb (moving from the parking lane to the driving lane), pulling over to the curb (vice-versa), and moving over into a left or right turn only lane, particularly when crossing a bike lane, and of course changing lanes on a multi-lane road or freeway. It only takes a second to check your mirrors and blind spot and it's just a glance. Of course you should be following at least three to four seconds behind the car in front of you which should give you ample opportunity to glance over your shoulder for a lane change. You should also gauge the safety of making a lane change by what's going on with the traffic in front of you.

We teach adjusting your mirrors by leaning on the left and right seat bolsters and adjusting the mirrors so that you can barely see the side of your own car. Then, from your normal driving position, sitting back in the seat with your hands slightly bent in the 9 and 3 position, you should not be able to see any of your own car. Side view mirrors are designed to see other cars, not your own car.

Appreciate 0