View Single Post
      07-06-2014, 08:55 AM   #273
serieD
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1199 Panigale S

This was the conundrum I was in all year. It was really the Alfa 4C vs the Cayman S.

Both cars are that make you feel alive and give that intense driving pleasure that really cannot be duplicated. I was in love with the Alfa more than anything else. Something about having that car was just absolutely necessary for me, but per usual, Alfa did what Alfa does best and just decided to completely botch the sale of the car, making the LE subject to market, which pushed the car out of a price bracket that is not only even questionable but ultimately foolish (some 4C LE's are going for 90K USD overseas) and the car has not even come to the US yet!

Now, the entire point of this car was for Alfa to get back into the US market by selling lots of cars, so to me, making it this expensive was a mistake, thus it pushed me in the direction of the Porsche.

I went to test drive a cayman S, it was about 20 degrees out, roads absolutely coated in salt over here in Northern NJ- West NY area, and the car was an absolute BEAST! It was literally amazing, the way you sat in the cockpit, the way the car felt, the transition from driver input to the car's output was just so fluent that I couldn't even believe it. After the test drive, I was set.

Silver Cayman S, 20 inch Carrera Wheels, manual, Sport Suspension, and Sport Chrono, and that was basically all I could afford because of Porsche's "a la carte" optioning.

Well, as I locked myself into the idea that this would be the car, I would stop everyday on my way from work at the local Porsche dealer and look at his array of Caymans. They were lined up one after the next, each in their respective "Porsche'y" colors -black, grey, silver, brown?, more black, different greys, and more silvers,- and I kept trying to force myself to get excited. I would keep reflecting on that test drive, continuing to hype myself into anticipation, albeit I find the Cayman S a nice looking car, I just couldn't get "gitty" about it. I couldn't find that magical feeling like when I was younger and my father got a new toy or when I got my any of my Ducati's or my G-wagon. For whatever reason, the Porsche just couldn't evoke this feeling.

So this left me back in the neutral zone,

Undecided and frustrated, I was basically set on just not getting a high-end car but rather just an OK one and acquiring a few more bikes, one for the track and maybe a custom this or custom that. But then auto-show came up....

I'd be lying to you if I didn't tell you I went for the Alfa. I was enamored by this car, and this was the first time after years of scoping I would see it in the flesh, I quickly bought a ticket, and raced to the Javits center in NYC.

The Alfa was brilliant, had all the lines I wanted, all the contours and details I'd expected, a miniature ferrari in the flesh. Unfortunatly, for Alfa, after seeing the car for 45 minutes, I wondered over to BMW.......

Seeing what would now be my future car, the M4 sitting steadily in the corner, looking absolutely f***ing MONSTROUS. It was as mean as it could be, it had lines, angles, aggression, beauty (which for me is rare in a BMW) function, technology, carbon fiber (a direct bloodline to my heart) and a starting MSRP that made me think twice.

Obviously, as it turns out my M4 is ordered and I'm awaiting delivery in a couple months. But what turned me on about this car is that it is the best overall out of the 3 cars. It gives bonkers performance, a quality interior, creature comforts which though is not a requirement for me, if I can get them, why not? and most of all it gave that charisma that I was looking for. Being in my 20's I just did not want to drive a drone car. For whatever reason the Porsche just felt like that because of how it looked and a little lack of torque.

After looking at everything; pricing-service-trackability (financially) and it's purpose as a DD, especially in my neck of the woods where pot-holes, snow, rain and anything else that could damage the roads exists, the M4 is the all-out champion.

I know it's a rant but this is what pulled me towards this car, and I think it could help others who are in the quandary of what to pick. As a guy who loves sport bikes, the porsche's ride was amazing, but I have been in many many many M3's and all I keep hearing is that this is better than those, so I am more than confident this car will be an absolute treat to drive!

-SerieD
Appreciate 0