View Single Post
      02-19-2015, 08:22 PM   #3
Audio Fan
Major
Rep
Drives: AY - M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gianatsis / QWK M4
Hi Guys, I wanted to give you some feedback on increasing the tire sizes on the M3/4's OEM stock M3/4 9x19 Front, and 10x19 Rear Wheels.

The stock Michelin Pilot Sports at 255F / 275R are too narrow for a car with this much power and braking force, especially with the optional Brembo Carbon Composite Brakes.

I had wanted to go to wider rims to match changing to wider tires. But wider rims also add more unsprung weight which cancels any perceived handling gain. Changing to expensive forged wheels would be lighter, but no one is making forged wheels in 0.5" wider than stock sizes. All the Forged applications for M3/4s are 10x19 front, and 11x19 rear, and to be honest this setup looks stupid on the car (especially with stock or just 1-size wider tires, and it still adds back more rotating and unsprung weight. So I'm just sticking with the stock M wheels for now and not wasting $4,000 for 1' wider forged wheels that end up not being much lighter, and don't really improve handling (especially with stock width size tires).

So, I moved the stock rear 275s to the Front 9x19 stock wheels, and added new 295/30s to the stock 10x19 Rear Wheels. This is an approved fitment from Michelin for these wider tires on the stock width wheels. I actually found the 295/30x19s at my local America's tire Store for just $275 ea, far less than mail order from Tire Rack (which didn't even offer the 295/30x19 size). And America's did all the tire switching and balancing very affordably.

My M4 now looks, handles and sticks so much better with this small and affordable (2) tire change.

Se the photos of the tire change on my M4 here - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=9369dfd153
I'm curious about this as well. Is the increased grip noticeable under acceleration? Does it reduce the tendency to break loose?
Appreciate 0