View Single Post
      07-29-2017, 11:21 PM   #45
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
We might just be getting hung up on semantics here.

But I don't see a 330i being faster than an M3/4 when properly driven. IMO, the only way to compare how fast they are is in a WOT drag race. Partial throttle is a pointless comparison. If we're saying one is "faster" than the other for a given throttle application, does it really mean anything ? I say Just apply more throttle on the other and it will be faster.

What I mean by "responsive" is a more prompt response at initial tip in when launching from rest. With the DCT, there is an inherent delay before the clutch is engaged after throttle tip in, which can make it feel sluggish off the line. When being heavy footed, there will be an even longer delay because the DCT will wait for the engines revs to climb before releasing the clutch. With a torque converter, the car will start to move forward as soon as the brake is released, regardless of how much throttle is applied. Hence more "seamless". But there are ways to work around this with DCT, by slighly tapping the gas pedal just before accelerating to get the clutch to engage, and then roll onto the throttle for a smoother launch. Once the clutch is engaged, the S55 is way more responsive to throttle input than the B48 - Period .

If the OP is driving his DCT like any other automatic, his perceptions might be true. But having very recently (two weeks ago) driven a 330i xDrive 8AT loaner for two days, I can attest my DCT M4, when properly driven, is in no way slower than the the 330i.
OK, probably semantics - but I would postulate that there's no way to drive an M4 "properly" in slow and heavy traffic - period.

Bruce
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321116.50