View Single Post
      08-26-2018, 07:06 PM   #101
PK1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

I've been car shopping for a while and before I left a deposit on an M3 last week, I test drove all model S configurations (the P100D can simulate lesser configurations through software), along with the base model 3 as well as the performance variant.

The only way I can describe the acceleration of the P100D is "insane." The g-force and the blood rushing to the back of your head is actually unpleasant for a moment until you realize what hit you and start laughing out loud. It's totally insane. The base model 3 (the one that they currently make: single motor with extended battery) is surprisingly fast and more than enough for most. The Performance model is very VERY fast, not quite P100D, but VERY fast. Faster than the vast majority of IC cars out there. The instant acceleration can simply not be replicated with IC cars.

Can't talk handling much since I wasn't in an area where you could throw the car around (Dallas grid), but both cars felt very planted. I would definitely have considered and wanted a Tesla as my next car, but as much as I liked the P100D I wasn't ready to spend $145K on it ($135K base plus a few options). They also don't lease well at all, and I usually lease cars.

My opinion of the model 3 is that it is a great car for $50K or less (the base model), exactly the segment it was supposed to occupy. In that price range few cars would beat its performance and I think its quality is acceptable, but once you get up in the trims and price (dual motor or Performance) - unless acceleration or electric car is mainly what you seek - there are better options out there. The performance model will end up being around $70+K if you put the $5K option pack in it and choose any color other than black. Other than crazy acceleration and it being an electric car, it doesn't feel like a $70K car. I know the minimalist cabin design is a love or hate it thing, that aside, it simply felt cheap to me for that price point. If you are after pure acceleration, model 3 Performance can't be beat for that price point. Otherwise, not worth it to me. And oh, no leases, gotta buy it.

My opinion of course, and by virtue of the fact that they are quite a few Performance model being ordered, many others disagree with me!
Appreciate 1
IS350118.00