View Single Post
      03-22-2021, 09:34 AM   #78
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckCoverRoll View Post
Out of curiosity- how does early lease buyout work in the context of a trade in at a non BMW dealership? If I trade in my leased BMW at an Audi dealership, presumably the Audi dealership is buying the car from BMWFS at the lease buyout price that may include the remaining balance of what I owe on the lease - is that correct? The 2018 f80 I just bought had one prior owner who leased the car in January 2019, before trading it in at an Audi dealership (which is where I bought the car). I think I paid market based on what’s available in my region ($55k 2018 f80 comp with 17,500 miles), and I’m curious what sort of profit the dealership would have made given that the buyout price is determined beforehand by BMWFS.
If a lease has a remaining balance on it (payments, lease end fee (I am drawing a blank on what that is called), then those need to be satisfied. Ultimately, the Audi dealer would have called BMWFS and said "how much to buy this car out?" and BMW FS would say "the current buyout price is..." - which strangely enough is just about always the remaining lease payments plus that $325 or whatever they charge for end of lease. Audi would pay that, get title and then they could do whatever they wanted with the car. I don't think there is any negotiation that can or does occur here. But others may think differently.
Appreciate 1