View Single Post
      12-10-2014, 04:05 PM   #40
M3guy3
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
That seems to be the opposite of what is happening, though and, at least to my mind, logically the wrong direction.

In the 'hypercar' world, the P1 and 918 only have V8s (which, with their performance numbers is staggering).

In cars less beyond the mortal stratosphere, the i8 has a 1.5L inline 3 cylinder engine.

As electric motors are more efficient and powerful, less petrol 'boost' is required. Ultimately, we may do away with them altogether (see Tesla, passim.) If not, at the very least they end up taking a back seat to the tradition internal combustion.
any major car company right now could pull together a ton of money and resources and make a car like Tesla. (most are probably already doing it) Its not like they have some automotive secret.

Its going to take years and years for people to want full out electric engines for sports cars. which is why i feel they are going to give us electric/gas engine for years and years before full out electric.

one of the problems with electric engines is NOT the power. Its the fact people who care about cars would rather have a combustion engine. for many different reasons.

chevy is already taking about next gen corvette becoming electric and gas V8. point being they cant just all of a sudden lose the signature V8 engine. they need to phase it out over years.
Appreciate 0