View Single Post
      12-26-2013, 06:41 PM   #243
Uberm3
Rep
Drives: Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
fortunately none of those things are true.

you should read in depth the technical data on the OP in this thread. the engine is NOT a warmed over n55. just because they are both turbocharged doesnt mean they are the same. the information explaining the VAST differences, and exaclty why the s55 is so different in superior is plastered all over this forum for anyone to read.

there is NO narrowing gap, in fact, the gap between non M and M is growing in terms of performance. the prior generation featured the closest acceleration gap between a non M and an M car (335 to M3). This gen the m3 is quoted by BMW as being a half second faster to 60, making much more average HP over the powerband, making much more torque. Not to mention 180 lbs lighter, stiffer materials, upmarket interior with fixed back seats, more standard features etc...

I couldnt disagree with your premise more, and the facts point to you being wrong
I really wasn't pointing out facts as much as sharing an opinion and accept that people will not agree. Agreed on the weight savings being a step in the right direction. The s55 is clearly evolutionary, from the N54. New turbos, closed deck casting, sturdier crank sharing (unless im mistaken), the same displacement specs - sounds warmed over to me. Certainly calling it an "all new M motor" would be a stretch. The "exhaust flap creating unique M sound" is on the list (everything gets marketed).

FWIW, the current F30 335i lost the same .5 sec as the 2015 M3 so the gap has likely remained the same. Yes, I'm making a broad generalization, and no I'm not going to go dig up and compare every stat - I'm sure someone will do it for me and prove me wrong. What you call "Upmarket interior" I call tacky (certainly the seats are).

While I'll reserve final judgement until I see it in person and drive one, the irony in all this is that the gap I'm talking about is not measured in absolute stats alone. The fact that I have to say that means this car was built for enthusiasts like you and not me. We are all after all enthusiasts - the beauty of opinions is that we can all have one.

Last edited by Uberm3; 12-26-2013 at 07:14 PM..
Appreciate 0