View Single Post
      12-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #126
Savory
Kaskasero
Rep
Drives: You Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by basscadet View Post
Really? I'm sorry, but what other 3.0 liter turbo engine do you know that is developing as much power as this one is stock from the factory? Am I missing something? That is a crap-ton of power being extracted out of a fairly humble powerplant.

That's just what scares me. I am drawn to cars with engines that are over-engineered and under-stressed with lots of potential left on the table (Mezger Porsche Turbos, GT-Rs, Supra Turbos, Mustang 5.0's, etc). With this car, I'm honestly going to feel like I'm being propelled by something that is a little too similar to what is under the hood of some teenager's '07 FBO 335i.

I would bet good money that this will be the least expensive M3 engine (in relation to car price) ever. It just smacks of irritating thriftiness.
Again, you have yet to provide any proof that the S55 is under engineered and over stressed. We have literally no info to make bold claims like that. All those engines you have listed have been proven and tested, S55 hasn't even been released! Yeah, it's not an 8.4L V10 Viper engine that only makes 640hp, but in terms of hp/L, cars with less cylinders and displacement still have tons of tuning capability. The 2.5L I-5 in the RS3 and TT-RS makes 360hp in stock form, and is able to extract another ~100 HP reliably. Not a direct comparison, but 430hp from a modern turbo motor isn't a particular difficult task.
2001 E39 M5
Appreciate 0