View Single Post
      12-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #129
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
It's not the engine that I'm talking about, it's the cooling hardware and turbos. Heat will limit power. Does everyone forget how hot turbo cars run? I'm surprised that this car will be reliably trackable in stock form but I have doubts with bumping PSI on an ECU tune. How many tuned N55s do we see surviving track duty? Sure the F8x has improved cooling hardware but can that accommodate for more heat than stock? Limp mode will be king if tuners push 500hp.
They run as hot as they are tuned for and as high as their cooling systems can handle. You do realize that the longest lasting and hardest used engines in the world are turbocharged right? - commercial turbo diesels.

However, heat is a byproduct of turbo design, intercooling, airflow, engine design, and engine cooling.

The S55 has more radiators and apparently notably more weight as a result. The intercooler setup is more advanced and capable of keeping charge air cool. The exhaust manifolds have been re-designed. And the S55 itself is a closed deck block - which better manages heat.

I'm also going to assume that the magnesium oil sump has more capacity and that the cooling system is likely higher capacity of coolant.

On top of that we don't know what additional airflow/heat transfer things they built in.

I agree heat is a limiting factor, but the N55 and most N54 applications have always been mass-produced street cars that a very elect few take to the track and usually had to modify a good bit just to be ready for basic track duty.

The m3/m4 is built for extended track duty. And they emphasized how much effort was put into cooling.

In other words, don't worry about cooling until it becomes a true concern.
Appreciate 0