10-20-2020, 08:17 PM   #74
matty088
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_M3 View Post
To be fair,

Modding any performance car beyond stock performance and expecting warranty to cover it is not realistic. Modding the car with a tune leads to shortened life spans if the car is driven hard. My other performance cars in my past, when you tuned them, you are rolling the dice on turbo failures etc. Look at the E92M3, it was rod bearings and you weren't able to tune for more power after that. For other turbo cars, it was the transmission, turbos etc that would fail.

What I'm saying is that once you deviate from stock, something will rear its ugly head in terms of failure. It's just not reasonable to expect to mod and be bullet proof.

Even in stock form, I don't quite agree with what you're saying. The car is already fast in stock form, in most cases, putting power greater than what it specced for. So when is enough? Never it seems. So if I have a stock 500+ hp M5, I need to mod it to 'wake it up'? And if I get x car, I should/must mod as if there is headroom? My point is that at a certain juncture, you have to decide what is enough. If you decide to push the limit and then build in the budget to strengthen the car.

I think that all of us have to just accept the fact that the crank hub is a weak point that BMW should address. My real issue is that they should provide a fix for owners who want to pursue it at a discounted cost.
Hmm. It’s impossible to disagree with what you are saying. Yes. You mod you should expect a shortened life and expect expenses. I think this is just common sense. What is different in this situation is the cost and the level of consequences. Sure. My e46 m3 has potential problems that are inherit to the car. But the are palatable. Ohhh vanos needs a refresh at 100k. This is NOT something that is too bad at all. In fact it’s nothing. It’s a car with 100k miles. And the cost is nothing. Or the subframe needs to be reinforced. Yea. That kind of sucks. But again we are not shelling out 30k and literally doing a heart transplant surgery.

So I think all of what you are saying is accurate but it’s not really relevant or applicable to the real world. Losing an engine due to stage1 software modifications is total bullshit. And it CAN NOT be justified. Spending 4000 as a preventive mod on a very mild street car is also bullshit. let’s call it what it is. If you want to make 700 hop and need to bullet proof the engine and that costs bog bucks. . Fine. Makes sense. But this is not what CH is about. There is a design flaw and if you touch the car with performance enhancing modifications you are exacerbating an already bad situation. And I for one think history will not be kind to these cars. My opinion.

Regarding “wake up” the statement. These cars are known to be sleepy fast. Meaning they are very refined and have lots of tech assistance. It’s not a raped ape. Given that I think it’s alittle boring in stock form. The stage 1 tune totally made the car fun. It’s still not a beastly feel but it puts u back jn the seat enough to be exhilarating.

Last edited by matty088; 10-20-2020 at 08:23 PM..
Appreciate 1