View Single Post
      10-20-2020, 08:44 PM   #76
CT_M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 DCT Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty088 View Post
Regarding “wake up” the statement. These cars are known to be sleepy fast. Meaning they are very refined and have lots of tech assistance. It’s not a raped ape. Given that I think it’s alittle boring in stock form. The stage 1 tune totally made the car fun. It’s still not a beastly feel but it puts u back jn the seat enough to be exhilarating.
I understand your frustration to an extent; but here's where how I look at it. We are talking about 500hp cars now with some pretty advanced tech, so any fix is going to cost. Plus you factor in inflation and the $4K doesn't sound that crazy in today's numbers. These are after all German cars.

Note that some of the failures are just timing fixes, not complete engine meltdowns. From what I've read, the meltdowns tend to be highly tuned cars.

I took the poll that was done a while back and just did simple statistics to see what the fail rate was:

I was going to play with the numbers a little more but that's ok, I'm open to sharing this with anyone who reads it.

Because of the smaller sample size of tuned cars, I didn't split between DCT/Manual or year.

Stock: 3% failure rate (out of 555 cars)
450-500whp tune: 11% (out of 227 cars)
500-550whp tunes: 19% (out of 149 cars)
550+ whp tunes: 33% (out of 90 cars)

If you focus on just manual vs. dct (tuned cars only),
Manual: 22% fail rate (out of 146 cars)
DCT: 18% fail rate (out of 320 cars)

Takeaway: if you do a light tune, you'd be silly not put on a CBC, or as Clint would say "You feeling lucky today?"

Assuming the cost of a motor is 15-20K, if you're going to light tune, you need at the minimum, a budget of $1- 1.5k (based on the general probability of failure, so a CBC is probably a good way to go about it.

If you do the VTT complete solution, and I've checked, you can get it done for about 3K. The pinned solution is slightly more ~3-3.5K.

Remember the IMS bearing on the early 997s? That was an 8% fail rate and there was class action on that. This is 3% on stock cars.

Last edited by CT_M3; 10-21-2020 at 07:33 PM..
Appreciate 1