07-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #240
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
I think it's futile to try to convince NISFAN on this (or any other matter ). Even with all the information out there and the technology allready being in use, he will not be convinced it has any place on a turbo I believe that to NISFAN the turbo is such a clever device, it can't be improved upon Nevermind that WRC cars have found the need to install anti lag devices, or that F1 next year will use the MGU both to regenerate energy and to boost the turbo as well as replace the wastegate.

Even with all the information from turbo manufacturers and Renault F1 about how the MGU can be used to spool up the turbo to avoid lag, NISFAN isn't convinced that this actually has any real world effect...
I think you are reading into F1 MGU a bit too much. F1 use an electric motor to provide 161hp directly onto the engine crankshaft. This is the primary use of the energy store. If you have an instantaneous 161hp + whatever power the ICE can give you, that in itself is a lag minimising effect.

The Turbo generator is to enable an F1 car to HARVEST energy to recharge the battery to give the 161 crank hp. It can't harvest that on brakes alone like they do in 2013.

Adding additional weight to something you are trying to keep low due to inertia, is counter productive. Simple science.

The simple fact is, if they didn't use ERS-K they would NOT have this device sitting on the Turbo.

No other form of racing uses this, of which there are many turbo charged classes....why? because there is no need for it.
Appreciate 0