View Single Post
      07-16-2013, 03:34 AM   #34
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Great information (rumor...). You are pessimistic on the engine but very optimistic on the weight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli_HH View Post
As I posted before, my information about the weight of the F8x says:
F82M4 - EU-Empty = 1.495kg = 3.296lbs
Let's translate that "sub 3300 lb" statement... Assuming empty means no driver, no fuel, no cargo but also means all other operating fluids present, we need to add 68kg for driver, 44 kg (16 gal, estimate) for fuel, 7 kg for "cargo" and we then have an apples to apples weight of 1614 kg or 3647 lb.

If we compare that to the quoted 1655 kg EU weight for the E92 that is a weight savings of 41 kg or about 90 lbs, fairly reasonable. Let's not get ahead of our selves saying the car is a sub 3300 pound car, this is the same trickery Porsche get's up to quoting weights.

At 3647 lb EU, it would be just about 125 lb lighter than my current E92 M3 weighed in the same fashion (with driver and with 90% fuel). That is really close to my guess of 112 lb lighter back in this post in 2010! As mentioned earlier in this thread this probably represents something like about $300 of extra COST to BMW to achieve this. I think that is a reasonable number. Also as mentioned prior $1000 in COST is certainly not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli_HH View Post
This weight reduction is reached by:
  1. making all doors/folds out of aluminum instead of steel ( like F30 )
  2. making internal supporting structure out of industrial carbon composite instead steels ( like F30 )
  3. making some/many suspension components out of industrial carbon composite istead aluminium ( like F30 ) - (link) saving overall 35kg /77lbs. only in this part

The new engine would be al little bit heavier than the S65 V8 ... also according to my informations!
All of that is new to me. If all of those parts turned out to be CF that would be a pretty good technical achievement for the car and a respectable weight reduction program. Those part are going to be quite costly though. Perhaps the cost is offset in a less expensive motor (as compared to the the S65)...
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0