11-28-2013, 12:47 AM   #126
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
This, combined with the weight discussion, is why I have been saying in other threads that, on paper, the F8X does not show a big power to weight advantage compared to the E9X. The top performing model is the DCT. Assuming that the 80kg reduction applies to a 6MT (which contributes to a 26lb saving), the DCT F8X will only have a 150lb advantage compared to a DCT E9X. With a 175lb driver, it will only have a 6% improvement in power to weight. As a comparison, the E9X brought us a 13% improvement in power to weight vs the E46.

Further, IMO, the S55 is likely under rated by a good 20 to 30 hp, giving it a further advantage.
I suppose we are beating the dead horse here but I agree the car will almost for sure have 20-30 hp more than the speced 430 hp. Absolutely all tests and simulation point to underratings for both the 335i and F10 M5 (probably other BMW FI models follow suit as well). Assuming it only has the lower figure, 450 hp, that will place its power to weight advantage advantage over the E92 right about 14%.

Add in a very likely new generation of tires, reduced drivetrain inertia, lower parasitic losses (including from electric power steering), improved launch control, lower center of gravity, improved rear axle subframe, revised suspension and yes indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy335 View Post
It will annihilate the current car.
And BMW will likely be able to continue to claim besting competitors with lower power than they provide through "chassis magic" like 50-50 weight balance or other such nonsense when it's still almost entirely about power to weight...
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0