View Single Post
      12-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #307
Justin*
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradb View Post
I, for one, track my car. If there's one thing I've found, modded Mustang GT's on the track are ridiculously fast. We're talking GT-R fast, as I've raced with both at the same time. Since this new S550 Mustang GT is using the same Coyote 5.0 (sans for some minor tweaks and Boss 302 parts now), we're going to have a slew of cheap performance parts from day 1. You can get 850HP+ SC kits on these things for under $7k. Ford has an entire lineup of Ford Racing parts for the new Coyote 5.0 already. If you want a serious track car, and don't care to break the bank (drop $50k+ on mods) hands down the Mustang GT will be the better buy.

Then again, this thread may be geared more towards OEM vs OEM, but this is an important fact to remember. How much are the SC kits going for on the E9x M3? $20k+? Everything is more expensive because they know they can charge you more, not because the parts are better. However, one thing every long-term owner of either will have to face is maintenance and costs related to that. The Mustang will be FAR cheaper to work on and maintain. And from what I've heard, the Coyote 5.0 is a more reliable V8 than the S65 in the M3 is.
^This, you sir are very wise. I agree with you completely. I'm in love with the S65 sound, how it revs to the moon, the fact I can get it in a four door. The interior is awesome as well. However, being a Mustang guy at heart as well. Performance per dollar, the mustang is the clear winner especially when you start talking about modifications. I'm still going to end up with an e90 fitted out like my sig says eventually; unless I just turbo charge the e46 (not likely). For a track car though; the new GT would be extremely difficult for me to pass up.