View Single Post
      01-21-2021, 01:00 PM   #35
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwurz View Post
Phil from BimmerWorld here - No, the MCS 2WNR is NOT being discontinued. I am not sure where that originated but if this information stemmed from us, then I believe there may have been a miscommunication somewhere along the way. We have been testing some different 2WNR designs with MCS for the F8X chassis that we are extremely excited about. The new designs are aimed to increase the control of the damper when used with spring rates that we would consider on the high side. The 2WNR damper in its current form is a fantastically capable damper, but just like your iPhone 11 was pretty sweet, there were some things that Apple could do to rub on it and make an iPhone 12 that is even sweeter (I know this example may not resonate with everyone but the improving technology principal remains).

The 2WNR really is a damper that was made to fit within a certain set of constraints or rules where two adjustments are allowed but no external reservoirs - what that means is that you are trying to package a lot into a little. In its crudest form, what you are doing with a damper system is moving around and displacing fluid. And MCS does this better than anyone else out there with a Non-Remote system. With the packaging constraints of a Non-Remote system you are limited on the volume/capacity available to be displaced. Move to a remote reservoir system and you more than double the volume of the fluid/gas which gains a lot of compliance and performance over a wider range of situations. If you are not trying to fit into a certain set of rules, and having two adjustments is of utmost importance to you, you will want the Remote Reservoir system due to this increased capacity. An analogy we use here often is that it's like trying to make 300 Hp out of a 2.3L S14 4-cylinder versus a 4L S65 V8 - the S65 does it with ease due to capacity.

So no - the 2WNR is not being discontinued, but we are working with MCS on an alternate version which may have led to a misunderstanding. And the current version is still being built, sold, and run on track very successfully.
I am the source of this misunderstanding.

Per email: "The 2WNR is not an option for the E9X & F8X cars at this time due to a valving change."

When I inquired on the phone to follow up, the words used was "Bimmerworld will not support the 2WNR." I thought this was odd considering it's still listed on the site for sale. When I pushed a bit more, the words were "The 2WNR was being discontinued." I didn't press more on the topic because I didn't feel I was getting anywhere with it.

I want to make it abundantly clear. The conversations I had with Bimmerworld was very polite and kind; never tense. I applaud you guys for the personal service that you're known for. The topic on the 2WNR was just as baffling to me as anyone else.

I really hope this thread does not to get anyone in trouble over there.
Appreciate 1