Thread: BMW Value
View Single Post
      12-31-2013, 01:48 PM   #98
darkalley
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Gone- 08 DCT SSII, 2006 SMG
Location: Current: 2014 BMW 4-Series Convert for the fiance w M Package, F150, 06 S2000, 08 911 c4s

[QUOTE=Patronus86;15197097]Kelly Blue Book gives you a good baseline to start from, not the most accurate but its a start. The actual Kelly Blue Book value was around $129K for a used gt3 rs, but I factored in model rarity and and looked at other car sites to figure what the car is reasonably worth now. As for the gt3 rs and non rs being highly sought after on the used market, it absolutely is.

But here is the issue I have with the prices on Rennlist: The MSRP for a brand new gt3 rs was about $140k. And now, with the car only a few years old, the dealers are asking for $200k+? Are you kidding me? No other used cars gain value that quickly and that early on...especially when you consider that porsche will likely make even better performing, higher quality 911's in the near future. It's a bidder's market out there, and when the primary buyers of these cars have all the money in the world, the dealers/sellers can jack up the price as much as they want... =>Car is way over priced now.

Not bashing 911 owners, just disputing the claims that a specific one has made. Yes the dealers can and are getting away with raising the prices. Just because $200k is the average market price for the gt3 rs, doesn't mean its a fair value. That's why you hear assets, products, commodities sometimes being referred to as over valued.

All the wealthy car buyers want to get this gt3 rs because, beside it being an awesome car, they are worried it's a limited edition that will never be produced again => they view it as a collector's item. Dealers are taking advantage of that demand and thus ramp up the prices.

The thing is, this car is only a few years old...and the true rarity of this can't and shouldn't be fully appreciated until more time has passed and porsche has put out newer models. I guarantee that porsche will produce more limited edition, high-end models in the future...it's pretty much expected of them by their customers.

The GT350 didn't become a highly priced, collector's item over night...it took time before people were able to compare it to the other mustangs put out by Ford and decide on its relative value. This gt3 rs, by comparison, has sky-rocketed on the markets in almost no time whatsoever. Why? You can't possibly know how rare this thing is until newer porsches come out!! 3-4 years of newer models is not enough.

Also, please don't start berating me for comparing a gt350 for a gt3 rs. I know these cars are at totally different ends of the spectrum. The focus of that comparison is on the car valuation process, not on the actual cars.

I didn't think he was lying, I just didn't know if his garage list was up to date. Simple as that.

Dude, if you read all of my posts, I have been very forthcoming about how I haven't driven any of these high-end cars. The only reason I refused to answer you earlier was because I knew you were looking to start an argument, like this one, that I didn't want to be a part of.

I am not angry with all "porsche nuts" I am a little frustrated with all the people on this forum who have bashed me for comparing the 911 gt3 to the m3 (it just so happens that a few of those bashers were porsche nuts).

And to be perfectly honest, the real reason I called BS on S4AWD and questioned his integrity was because he tried to claim that the only difference between a gt3 rs and the cup car version was a simple fuel cell swap and an upgraded transmission. He was making false claims to try and prove a point, and I take serious issue with people putting out that kind of misinformation. And no, I'm not apologizing for that.

Enjoy the new year! [/QUOTE

Umm this is crazy on so many levels