Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthen0thing View Post
you guys have any idea how much vaccuum at idle is normal when you pull the oil cap? I'm wondering if my PCV system might be pulling allot of vaccum at idle and pressurizing the crankcase during boost.
I'm going to head over to BMW today to pick up a valve cover. I'll see if a SA can get me the info from a mechanic because I am definitely curious myself.

Update:

So I drove all the way to BMW without a single hitch in the drive. I decided forget it, I'm not spending $800+ on a valve cover. I did however speak to a foreman and he could not give me a definitive answer as to what the proper vacuum and ventilation characteristics of each of the PCV components should be. I basically insinuated random numbers and he agreed so he doesn't know.

I'm going to go with what I've learned from doing a considerable amount of PCV, blow-by, and engine breather research and that is:
  • The factory PCV system is good for stock and maybe up to Stage 1. Stage 2 or higher means it's going to take a dirt nap prematurely (probably).
  • The more power you have means the more blow-by gases you have and therefore as you've taken measures and steps to increase the power, you also need to do the same for the crank case ventilation. You're exponentially increasing the amount of blow-by gas and pressure within the crankcase so it only makes 1+1 sense that you need a more sophisticated method/system to get the additional blow-by out. This just seems to not be a popular or commonly spoken about topic but I guarantee you anyone pushing 600-700+ WHP is going to be dealing with this or has dealt with this.

Last edited by slaughter.mode; 09-23-2021 at 02:17 AM..
Appreciate 1