View Single Post
      11-19-2013, 07:23 AM   #55
BMW M3 CRT
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
My intention was just to point out that ETA was owned by SWATCH. The post I was commenting on implied that Breitling etc was handmade/made more like the S65 engine. My point was to say that the movements they use are actually mass produced by a sub supplier.

I don't see the analogy to Ferrari. Ferrari engines are made by themselves, not by Fiat.

ETA movements are high quality. But the analogy that was made with high quality watches and the S65 engine wasn't a very good one. In fact the S55 engine would be more comparable with the Breitling watches (as the S55 is made on the main production plant, but not on a sub suppliers plant and used by other manufacturers like the ETA movements is though)
And M engine were build until now by the M-GmbH in the Special-Engine-Plant like the BMW racing engines and not on the mass production BMW AG engine plant in Steyr ... perfect analogy to Ferrari vs. Fiat.

As of the watches ... the Breitling watches were made by Breitling on their production plant and not on an mass production plant like ETA - so the analogy seem a very good one!

And as I said before the real M spirit comes from the credo "Rennsporttechnik für die Straße" and the easiest point to show this is the racing inspired engine like S14, S52, S62, S54, S85 and S65. This is gone ... now its an mass produced engine with no racing spirit and produced on the same engine plant like all other regular AG engines.
If you read the SPORTAUTO article between the lines and together with the the follow on E92/S65 article you know that the authors of ths great sportcars may feel the same ... the new M3/M4 would be an great car and "the best M3 ever" but in spite of the engine and not because of the engine... the engine is an real disappointment for many M fans.

And I am of the opinion that an M3/M4 with an lightly modfied S65 would have minimum the same performance like with the S55, but with much more M emotions and M spirit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but how would steel brakes be better for track use than CC brakes?

CC brakes are fade resistent so better suited for high temp braking and weigh less, which means less stress on suspension/spring/damper units, also good for tracking.
Because carbon-ceramic brakes are simply more sensitive, such as when stones fall into the brake ... quickly what is happening on / off the track ... therefore change many Porsche drivers, who are often on track back to steel brakes

Greetings BMW M3 CRT

Last edited by BMW M3 CRT; 11-19-2013 at 07:57 AM..
Appreciate 0